Now that all the skin areas are completed, time to put my attention elsewhere. I thought I would dye up some suitable background colour….boy…did I goof. For some reason I had in my mind that the background was a yellowy brown..
..so I dyed over 1/4 yard natural and 1/4 yard oatmeal, using mostly ‘maple sugar’ with a touch of ‘mustard’ . I liked the colours, but when I looked more closely at the photo of the painting….that isn’t the background colour at all….only in the small section at the top left.
I decided then to hook the top line of the dress. I didn’t have a pale colour needed for the checks,
so I dyed 1/4 yard natural with 1/128 tsp yellow. I think this will be very useful in a variety of places. (I have a hard time dyeing such pale colours….they look so blah!…I have to fight the urge to add more dye!)
I didn’t like the effect at first, thinking it was too stark, and standing out too much,
but the concensus at my Sunshine meeting this Tuesday morning, was that it was fine….so I’ll leave it…at least for now.
I’m using the same pale yellow in a 4 cut for the swirls in this motiif.
This seems to be a slow process, matching and blending the yellows. I worked on it all last evening, and only got this far.
I’m still mulling around a variety of ideas about how I’m going to treat the background.
Just an aside….I was browsing through an old “Rughooker News and Views” (1985) magazine this morning and noticed an add for Bliss and Frazer 500 strippers….$63.00….and cutter heads….$9.00 each….wow!