I’ll get to Oil on Water shortly….but first, my little project using batik. After an exciting (to me) start….I became discouraged with it and set it aside for a time. But needing something to hook on at Sunshine meetings (I can hardly carry Oil on Water to my frame, let alone haul it across the parking lot and up the elevator to where we meet), I brought the batik along and set to work. With some wise advice from Jean on how to correct the nose, I’ve been enjoying this experience with a new fibre (for me). While Jennifer Manuel ….of Fisheye Sisters (who sells the batik strips) uses the strips as is, I have found them too wide, so I’ve been cutting each one in half, and I find that much more manageable.
Another exciting event happened recently when I received a huge box of wool and various other goodies in an “ugly wool swap”. Just in case you may not know what that is….a box is started out full of one person’s “ugly wool” and is sent in turn to each participant. As it arrives, you take anything that appeals to you and replace it with a like amount of your own “ugly wool”. My goodness, it was like Christmas. I particularly had my eye out for wool which I could overdye for the background of Oil On Water.
This huge piece of wool seemed perfect.I soaked it (this is just half of the piece which was nearly 2 yards)…….used three pro chem blues…navy, brilliant blue, and national blue. 1/2 of the navy went in the dye bath, the wool was added, then the rest spotted over the top.One piece I stirred to create a more consistent colour, the other I left purposely blotchy. (the wool is actually quite a bit darker than it appears in the photo)
Here’s my pile of “soon to be background wool” still awaiting the dye pots.Most of it is other wool from the swap box, and the solid blue and green are from the wool Mary Lou Justason was selling from her stash at R..U.G. to raise money for the Hooked Rug Museum of North America.
As for the progress on “Oil On Water”….I’ve spent a lot of time working with the design trying to leave it asymmetrical but still making sure it is balanced.On the right…I want the “flame” motif to swing down and around in a more or less continuous sweep….so I drew this….…..but I’m thinking the turn from sideways to vertical is too abrupt….on the other hand I think I can tie them together with a swirling shape much like the one on the top. The jury is still out on that decision…..so I’ve moved on to the left side for the moment.The left top has long sweeping “stripes in a bit lighter blue than the background.
The bottom looked like this…(sorry for the huge long photo….I couldn’t get it to crop in half)….so I decided to extend the little “nubbies” and create stripes similar to the top.
My first attempt was wobbly at the top, and too fat…..so I re-drew the sweep smoothly to balance with the top.….and used a lighter blue once again to create the subtle stripe….…. (which shows up dark here).
If I can’t make up my mind about the bottom flames I’ll hook plain background for a few days while I ponder a decision.
As you can imagine….this piece has become progressively heavier and heavier. Since my creative juices demand that I have the whole piece available to look at, and clamping it to the top of the closet had become a two man job while I stand teetering on a chair…..Ray has made me a hoist!
He used a piece of 1″ x 4″, put a hook at the top of the closet on the wall , and a cleat further down the wall at the side to secure it….
….so that I can attach it with clips at waist level then pull it up……I must admit it makes getting to the clothes in the closet a bit of a nuisance…..but it is oh so much easier to hang and I can dream away about how to progress while looking at the entire rug.Now off to hook some more background.
Thanks for stopping by.