Hooking done…..steaming done……now for the last step. Since this rug is intended for the floor, I want it to have a sturdy edge that will stand up over time….so I use both binding tape and whipping.
I spot dyed my yarn with a little deeper version of the dyes I used for the background. It looks one colour here, but in fact it has a variegation of dark grey, lighter grey and taupe. My binding tape was cut and ready to go.
I cut away the excess backing 16 ditches from the edge of the hooking (1 inch), and press it back, cover it with the tape and whip with a double strand of wool . (making sure it lies flat as I go along)
I whip into the backing and the binding in one step, making sure I have an even line on the back to keep it looking neat. (that part gets easier with each rug I bind).
On the front the whipping goes right in next to the hooking so there is no gap. (I whip from the front to the back) Here it is partially whipped. The red clips make it so much easier than having to use pins.
One last steaming on completion….and …..
Of course, as usual, as I was nearing completion of this rug, my mind was already on what project I wanted to do next. The last two rugs I hooked, were both large and hooked in an 8 cut. I wanted something completely different. Somewhere I saw a rug of a rhinoceros, adapted from a 15th century etching. That tweaked my interest and I went in search of what 15th century artists might have done that would be of interest to me. I wanted to hook a person, and do it in a fine cut with lots of detail.
After lots of fun searching and finding amazing etchings by various 15th century artists, I settled on two by the German artist Martin Schoengaur. They are two of a set of 10 individual etchings of virgins….5 wise virgins, and 5 foolish virgins, based on a parable found in Saint Matthew.
The wise virgin on the left remembered to bring lots of oil for her lamp. The foolish virgin on the right forgot the oil, and wants the wise virgin to share with her. These are separate etchings, but I’ve put together, and had them blown up to 22″ high.Ray set up my light table, and I traced the broad outlines.
Now I’ve been exploring women’s clothing of the 15th century so I can come up with a colour palette . There’s lots of dyeing in my immediate future. I think I’ve found the colours I want and I’ll write about my typically convoluted route to that decision next time. I’m so excited to get going on this new venture.
Thanks for stopping by.